Obama approves aid for Hawaii tsunami repairs - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Obama approves aid for Hawaii tsunami repairs

HONOLULU (AP) - President Barack Obama is ordering federal aid for Hawaii to assist in recovery efforts to areas damaged by tsunami waves last month.

Obama signed a disaster declaration for Hawaii on Friday, which enables federal funding to state and county governments for emergency work and facilities repair. Some private nonprofit organizations also are eligible for federal support.

Tsunami waves caused $8.5 million of damage to government property in Hawaii County, Maui County and the City and County of Honolulu, according to state officials. Another $22 million in private property was damaged.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency pays for 75 percent of government property repair costs, with state and county governments having to match the remaining 25 percent.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly