Chinatown restaurant fire causes extensive kitchen damage - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Chinatown restaurant fire causes extensive kitchen damage

The fire call came in at around 8 a.m. Friday. The fire call came in at around 8 a.m. Friday.

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Firefighters responded to a fire in Chinatown after smoke was seen billowing out of a vent of a restaurant Friday morning.

The alarm sounded around 8 a.m. at the Won Kee Restaurant at the Chinese Cultural Plaza. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control within a few minutes, but not before causing extensive damage to the kitchen.

There were several employees in the establishment at the time of the fire. They were able to escape safely.

"I just saw a bunch of smoke billowing out of this. Looked like a chimney kind of thing on top of this building. First it came kind of like gray and thicky and then afterwards it started puffing like black and so I closed my windows," witness Adrian Gillilind said.

Traffic on Maunakea and Beretania Streets were shut down while fire crews cleared the scene.

No word yet on what sparked the fire.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly