The Honolulu Police Department is looking for applicants for its newest recruit class. So far more than a thousand people have applied to be a metropolitan police recruit.
Applications will be accepted online until Thursday, March 31 at 11:59 p.m. Capt. Cary Okimoto stopped by this morning to share more details.
(Note: The starting salary for a recruit is $51,200, not $42,000 as stated in the interview.)
For more information, visit http://honolulupd.org/joinhpd or call (808) 723-7788.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
The following requirements must be met at the time of application.
- Age: 20 years of age or older.
- Education: Equivalent to graduation from high school. G.E.D. or H.S. diploma
- License: Valid motor vehicle driver's license. A valid type 3 Hawai'i driver's license is required by the date of hire.
- Firearms: Must meet Federal and State eligibility requirements to possess firearms. Persons who have been convicted of any felony, crime of violence, illegal sale of any drug, misdemeanor of domestic violence, etc. are not eligible to possess firearms.
- Citizenship: Citizen, national, or permanent resident alien of the United States. Non-citizen with unrestricted employment authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may also apply.