HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - With home prices and mortgage rates at or near historic lows, now is a great time to buy a home. Owning a home can help you build wealth over time.
Tips for the First-time Homebuyer
1. Start saving for the down payment. While there are a number of financing options for first time homebuyers, having a solid down payment will help.
2. Get a credit check. Find out if there are issues with your credit and address them.
3. Understand what you can afford by talking to a mortgage loan officer.
4. Learn about the market by visiting open houses and talking with a professional realtor.
5. Get into the market. You may have to start smaller or in a neighborhood that's not your first choice, but getting into the market gives you a chance to trade up as the value of your first home increases as the market increases.