HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow)- The Hawaii Bicycling League is a 35-year old Hawaii nonprofit. The goal is to try to get more people to ride bicycles for health, recreation and transportation. Haleiwa Metric Century Ride, Sunday April 10, 2011 from Haleiwa to Kaaawa and back.
Over 900 cyclists will ride 25, 50 or 100 kilometers that day and enjoy the beautiful North Shore. It is our goal to have bicycling benefit the communities we ride in. To that end, the Hawaii Bicycling League
• invited several community organizations to fund raise by selling ono food at the event (in addition to the free sports drink, water, and light snacks included in the ride entry fee),
• plans a community clean up with cyclists and residents working together,
• invited Waialua High School to showcase its programs at the finish,
• will ask riders to donate their unneeded bicycles to YikesBikes at Waialua High School for repair and use in the community,
• encourages riders to spend some time and money by patronizing North Shore businesses.
For more information on the Haleiwa Metric Century Ride and other events sponsored by the Hawaii Bicycling League, go to www.hbl.org.