Locate or contact family members in Japan

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Many people are looking for information to contact their relatives or friends in Japan, since the earthquake on Thursday.

The areas facing the heaviest damage are the Prefectures of Miyagi, Fukushima, Tochigi, and Ibaraki, according to the Red Cross.

The American Red Cross recommends the following ways to get more information:

  • For U.S. Citizens living or traveling in Japan: Contact U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at 1-888-407-4747 or (202)647-5225.
  • For Non-U.S. Citizens living in Japan: Continue trying to contact them via mobile networks or internet
  • To Reconnect with Family. It's a to help restore contact between separated family members: Go to www.ICRC.org/familylinks to register, or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) for help.
  • Use Google Person Finder: Go to http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang-en
  • If you have your relative's phone number, look at our story for a link to get updates on them: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14238339.

Copyright 2011 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.