Gas leak causes Hilo home fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Gas leak causes Hilo home fire

BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) - Gas leaking from a five gallon propane tank in a washroom caused a fire at a home at 122 B Hale Manu Drive in Hilo at about 6:17 p.m. Wednesday, according to the fire department.

The first responders arrived at the scene at 6:25 p.m. and the fire was out two minutes later.

When fire fighters arrived, they found smoke visible from the rear of the single family dwelling. 

The resident told them that the propane tank ignited and burned an area of the exterior wall.

Damage is estimated at $1,000.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross responded to the fire and are providing any immediate emergency needs for food, shelter and clothing.

Copyright Hawaii New Now 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly