Mililani house fire displaces family of five - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Mililani house fire displaces family of five

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department has completed their investigation of the fire at 95-1065 Kopalani Street and have determined that the fire was accidentally started in the kitchen and caused by heat from a stove burner igniting a plastic food container which was placed too close to the stove top.

The kitchen is located in the rear of the first floor of this two-story, single family home.

The fire caused heavy damage to the first floor of this two-story home and moderate damage to the second floor. Damage is estimated at $200,000.

A family of five, two adults and three children, were displaced by this fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

The adult male reported that he returned home and discovered the fire and called 911.

The American Red Cross responded to offer assistance with housing and personal needs.

The HFD responded to the Kopalani Street fire on Feb. 25 at 7:58 a.m. with the first company arriving at scene at 8:02 a.m. The fire was reported under control at 8:12 a.m. and extinguished at 10:01 a.m.

HFD fought this fire with approximately thirty-five firefighters from seven companies including five engines, two ladders, and a battalion chief.

Copyright Hawaii News Now 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly