NORTH SHORE (Hawaii News Now) - "This was the control room. Everything had water over it," Juju Bodden said.
Bodden and Michael Kratzke own Conscious Groove Records studio, a casualty of the fire that gutted the top floor of a two-story home at 58-284-C Kamehameha Highway Thursday morning.
"It hurts to see all our stuff messed up like that," Bodden said, choking back tears.
Even though firefighters used salvage covers to protect the equipment in the downstairs' studio, water still got into the electronics.
"We have a 32-channel mixing board. We have high end pre-amps, MPC's, keyboards, a brand new computer that we just bought," Kratzke said.
Conscious Groove works with kids from Kalihi's tough neighborhoods on music and video projects. The studio was going to be a place young people could learn about recording and engineering.
"We're trying to in a sense be dream weavers and help these kids. You want to do this? Here's the tools to do it. Let us teach you and you take the baton," Kratzke said.
"I had tapped into a lot of the local artists to come over here. I showed them the place. It's just a tragedy," Bodden said.
The tragedy also affected three people who lived above Conscious Groove.
Alexandra Cardenas saw her belongings go up in smoke.
"All we could do was watch. We just sat across the street. The roof was on fire. It caught some electrical lines," she said.
Firefighters estimate the damage at $350,000 to the home and its contents.
The owners of Conscious Groove said they have no insurance for their equipment.
"We're going to get back on the horse and do what we have to do to keep moving," Kratzke said.
Conscious Groove plans to hold fundraiser concerts in the next couple of weeks.