Fast-acting neighbors help put out house fire

PEPEEKEO (HawaiiNewsNow) - A house fire broke out just after 6:00 p.m. Monday on Kapehu Place in Pepeekeo.

According to fire officials, three quick-thinking neighbors doused the flames before fire crews arrived to the single-story house.

Fire crews arrived on the scene at 6:25 p.m., and the fire was extinguished at 6:30 p.m.

Officials say the fire started after an accidental spill from a gas can ignited from turning on a lamp switch.

No injuries were reported.

Structure damage is estimated at $500, while the property damage is estimated at $2,500.

The property value saved is estimated at $240,000.

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.