KAILUA (HawaiiNewsNow) - A Maunawili woman got a lucky break Wednesday. Her house could have gone up in flames if it hadn't been for her smoke alarm.
Katherine Supnet was eating in her kitchen when her smoke alarm went off and she realized her garage was on fire. Smoke trapped her upstairs, but she called her neighbors and they came to the rescue.
"When I opened the front door, the smoke was coming up the stairwell already, so I couldn't get out. First thing I think is get my dogs out" said Supnet.
Supnet got out safely and so did her two dogs, thanks to her active smoke alarm. That's just another reason to make sure your fire alarm is in working order.
"Quick discovery allows for quick escape, as well as a rapid call for help. We can get there. We can contain the fire and prevent it from doing further damage" said Captain Terry Seelig of the Honolulu Fire Department.
Damage was confined to the garage and is estimated at around $2,000.
Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Today will be much like yesterday: Light trade winds giving way to afternoon sea breezes. A few mainly windward and mauka showers this morning.More >>
Some lawmakers say the shooting of a family dog by a Securitas private security officer at Honolulu International Airport is another black eye for the private security company paid $35 million a year by the state.More >>
Maui firefighters are battling a brush fire in the Pulehu area, on the slopes of Kula. Maui fire officials say the "large" fire is burning in a sugarcane field.More >>