Fire officials: cigarette caused Ewa Beach house fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire officials: cigarette caused Ewa Beach house fire

By Minna Sugimoto - bio | email

EWA BEACH (HawaiiNewsNow) - Investigators say an unattended cigarette sparked Sunday's house fire that left an Ewa Beach woman in critical condition. The case has been classified as an accident.

Family members say Judith Domingo, 70, suffered burns and smoke inhalation, and remains in Straub Hospital's burn unit.

Investigators say the fire started in the living room of the Pohakupuna Road home. Neighbors quickly jumped into action, using a garden hose to shoot water on the flames while trying to get into the house to save Domingo.

Firefighters arrived and extinguished the blaze. They then discovered Domingo in one of the bedrooms.

Total damage is now estimated at $85,000.

The Honolulu Fire Department on Monday offered the following safety tips for smokers:

· Smoking is best done outside rather than inside.

· Use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.

· Before throwing out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.

· Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.

· If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.

More about this story on HawaiiNewsNow.com

House fire leaves Ewa Beach woman in critical condition

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly