Officials: Makiki apartment fire caused by faulty wiring - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Officials: Makiki apartment fire caused by faulty wiring

HFD Captain Terry Seelig HFD Captain Terry Seelig

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Investigators say Sunday's fire at The Makikian on Wilder Street was caused by a faulty electrical outlet. No one was hurt, but three units were destroyed and at least five others damaged.

Some residents say fire crews should have been there sooner since the fire station is literally right across the street. Records show the crew arrived four minutes after the first 911 call.

"The fire rapidly went from what we call free burning state to flashover, where it extended up and out into the unit above and was starting to spread to the adjacent units. That's a well developed fire. Fire doesn't go from zero to 60 in one second" said Captain Terry Seelig of the Honolulu Fire Department.

Firefighters remind people to call 911 first thing when they see flames. Don't assume someone else is calling.

Total damage is estimated at $250,000.

More about this story on HawaiiNewsNow.com:

Makiki apartment residents concerned about fire response time

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly