Officials: Faulty extension cord caused Ala Moana fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Officials: Faulty extension cord caused Ala Moana fire

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Fire crews responded to a small fire near the Fendi store at Ala Moana Center Wednesday morning. Although the fire was quickly extinguished by the sprinkler system, water seeped into the Barnes and Noble bookstore underneath, damaging some of the store's inventory. There were no reports of injuries.

The fire started at 7:50 AM. Fire officials say that a malfunctioning extension cord in a storage room used by the Pearl nightclub was the cause. A sprinkler head activated and water then leaked into a storage corridor and down through the ceiling of the book store. Light to moderate smoke entered the Fendi and St. John stores on the mall level.

Officials reported some damage to books in the store, but crews were able to move or cover much of the merchandise. Fire crews were on scene for over three hours ventilating smoke and removing water.

Damage from fire was estimated at $5,000. There was no estimate available of water damage to the book store and its contents.

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly