Officials: Unattended smoking materials started Mililani fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Officials: Unattended smoking materials started Mililani townhouse fire

Frank Pawlowski Frank Pawlowski

MILILANI (HawaiiNewsNow) – Fire officials say that unattended smoking material was the cause of a fire that damaged a Mililani townhouse Monday night. The fire started around 11:00 PM Monday at a home on Kaloapau Street. Three people were inside at the time.

Everyone made it out okay, but one person who was barefoot had to be treated for cuts. One neighbor was woken up by all the commotion.

"A little while before, it was like a big fire, flames coming out of the roof. I ran out the house, grabbed my wife, grabbed my kid and ran out the door" said Frank Pawlowski.

One bedroom was destroyed, causing about $50,000 in damages. The Red Cross is assisting the family.The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly