Man dies in Kakaako apartment fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Man dies in Kakaako apartment fire

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A 69-year-old man died early Wednesday morning after a fire at a Kakaako senior housing complex and authorities say that smoking in bed appears to be the cause. Firefighters responded to an alarm at the Honuakaha Apartments on Queen Street at 3:18 AM.

The apartment manager was awakened by the fire alarm. He went to the sixth floor and saw water seeping under the victim's apartment door. He entered the apartment and found the bed burning and the victim slumped to one side of the bed in a lifeless position.

When fire crews arrived they found that the fire had been extinguished by the sprinkler system, but he victim's body was badly burned. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 3:42 AM.

Firefighters ventilated smoke from the unit and also removed water which had seeped down several floors. Damage to the apartment and its contents were estimated at $5,000.

The medical examiner has yet to determine the exact cause of the man's death.

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly