Kitchen fire causes commotion at Ward Center - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Kitchen fire causes commotion at Ward Center

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -  The lunch hour at Ward Center was busy for the wrong reason Monday. A fire broke out in the Mocha Java Cafe kitchen. Flames went into the kitchen's exhaust vent setting off the sprinkler system inside.

Several fire trucks arrived and firefighters shot water through the duct to make sure the flames were out. There was quite a bit of water inside.

"As you can imagine it caused quite a commotion this is a busy commercial establishment there are a lot of shops and a lot of people," said Honolulu Fire Department's Captain Terry Seelig.

Surrounding streets were blocked off. Neighboring restaurants including Kakaako Kitchen and Kua Aina Burger were also evacuated while firefighters worked. No one was hurt in the incident which was first reported around 12:30 PM

Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly