HALEIWA (HawaiiNewsNow) – An unattended candle touched off a fire Monday morning that damaged a Haleiwa home and slightly injured one of its occupants. Firefighters were called to a home on Wana Place just before 6:00 AM Monday when a fire broke out in one of the homes bedrooms.
Fire officials say that a candle in the bedroom burned down to the holder and then ignited plastic material on a piece of furniture. The occupants of the home tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived on scene. The fire was completely extinguished at around 7:00 AM.
A male occupant of the home suffered a first-degree burn to the hand but refused treatment.
Damage to the home and its contents are estimated at $80,000. The Red Cross is assisting the victims of the fire.
Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Police in Finland say they have shot a man in the leg after he was suspected of stabbing several people in the western city of Turku.More >>
At the corner of Makakilo Drive and Liolio Place, you will find two discarded toilets among other bulky-item trash. Residents can expect the eyesore until at least September 5th when workers from the Department of Environmental Services' Refuse Collection Branch are scheduled to collect them.More >>
Spanish police kill five suspects connected to the Barcelona van attack that killed 13 people, as the manhunt intensified for the perpetrators of Europe's latest rampage claimed by the Islamic State group.More >>
Under fire over competence and moral leadership, Trump defends Confederate statues and attacks his critics.More >>