By Lisa Kubota - bio | email
WAIANAE (HawaiiNewsNow) - A fire destroyed a home and two old buses used for storage in Waianae Valley early Friday morning. Investigators are still trying to determine what sparked the fast-moving flames. Emergency crews raced to the house off Waianae Valley road shortly before 5:00 AM.
"20 years we've been like this and there has never ever been a spark," said resident Verna Landford-Bright.
Landford-Bright and her husband lived in the house that was destroyed. He had already left for work when she heard crackling sounds and saw flames near two large buses they used to store household items.
"I ran to the front. I just panicked, and I was like, 'Call 911!' I was in shock. I didn't know what to grab. All I was worried about was the safety of everybody," Landford-Bright said.
Firefighters managed to save the adjacent home where her daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons had been sleeping.
"I'm just happy that they're safe. You can always start all over," said Landford-Bright.
About 20 firefighters helped battle the blaze. It took them nearly 25 minutes to get the flames under control.
"They came as fast as they could possibly come up the road, but it just moved so fast," said Landford-Bright.
The Red Cross is now helping the family with food, clothing and other supplies. The shock of losing everything they owned is finally starting to sink in.
"He's a musician so all his equipment was in there for his music, and of course, you know, all my family pictures, but those things are material things that could be replaced," Landford-Bright said.
Copyright 2010 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112