Obama vows full investigation into terror attack attempt - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Obama vows full investigation into terror attack attempt

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano
President Barack Obama President Barack Obama
Rep. Peter King Rep. Peter King
Jamie Smith Jamie Smith

by Tracie Potts

KANEOHE (NBC) – The US put Umar Abdulmutallab on a watch list last month. Still he was able to sneak a powerful explosive onto a flight bound for Detroit on Christmas day.

Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security, says "our system did not work in this instance. No one is happy or satisfied with that. An extensive review is underway."

President Obama's ordered reviews of security screening and terror watch lists.

"We will not rest until we find all who were involved and hold them accountable," the President remarked today from Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

Next week the government will ask for DNA from the 23-year-old Nigerian suspect. Next month, the Senate hears testimony on what went wrong.

"The guy is paying cash for his ticket, is only buying a one-way ticket, and his own father has come to our embassy to us about him. We should be able to stop him" said Rep. Peter King, A Republican from New York.

Monday afternoon officials are easing some in-flight restrictions imposed after Friday's incident. Analysts say the government is relying too much on technology.

"We need to be dong pat-downs, we need to be doing bag searches, and you need to look somebody in the eye when you are asking them questions about where they have been, what are their intentions" said former Air Marshal instructor Jamie Smith.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian peninsula is claiming responsibility as reports surfaced that Abdulmutallab spent last summer in Yemen, a growing base for Al-Qaeda.

 

Powered by Frankly