Honolulu breaks ground on waste-to-energy power expansion - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Honolulu breaks ground on waste-to-energy power expansion

KAPOLEI (HawaiiNewsNow) – The City of Honolulu Monday broke ground on an expansion to the city's H-POWER waste-to-energy facility in Campbell Industrial Park. The facility, which converts solid waste to electricity, will generate enough power to supply 25,000 additional homes.

The expanded capacity will increase the overall capacity of the H-POWER facility by 40%. It is expected to go online in 24-34 months. When complete, the expanded power plant will generate 6% of Oahu's electricity.

The project is being designed and built by the New Jersey-based Covanta Energy Corporation, who will also continue to operate the entire facility for 20 years after the completion of the expansion.

Copyright 2009 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Maui police arrest suspect in tourist kidnapping case

    Maui police arrest suspect in tourist kidnapping case

    Thursday, March 23 2017 2:19 PM EDT2017-03-23 18:19:12 GMT
    (Image: Maui Police Department)(Image: Maui Police Department)

    A woman with long dark hair and a tattoo on her leg is believed to be one of the suspects who kidnapped and robbed a pair of California visitors last week, according to surveillance video of the incident released by police on Monday.

    More >>

    A woman with long dark hair and a tattoo on her leg is believed to be one of the suspects who kidnapped and robbed a pair of California visitors last week, according to surveillance video of the incident released by police on Monday.

    More >>
  • Utah man killed in London attack was hit on bridge

    Utah man killed in London attack was hit on bridge

    Thursday, March 23 2017 1:57 PM EDT2017-03-23 17:57:13 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 1:57 PM EDT2017-03-23 17:57:15 GMT

    A statement from the Mormon church issued on behalf of relatives says a Utah man was among those killed in a London attack and his wife was seriously injured.

    More >>

    A statement from the Mormon church issued on behalf of relatives says a Utah man was among those killed in a London attack and his wife was seriously injured.

    More >>
  • IS claims responsibility for London attack; UK PM defiant

    IS claims responsibility for London attack; UK PM defiant

    Thursday, March 23 2017 1:30 PM EDT2017-03-23 17:30:07 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 1:30 PM EDT2017-03-23 17:30:07 GMT

    Investigations are continuing around Parliament, but lawmakers are expected to go ahead with plans to reconvene in a show of solidarity.

    More >>

    Investigations are continuing around Parliament, but lawmakers are expected to go ahead with plans to reconvene in a show of solidarity.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly