Fire destroys dance group costumes and computer - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire destroys dance group costumes and computer

Capt. Terry Seelig Capt. Terry Seelig
Elisapeta "Peka" Kolone Elisapeta "Peka" Kolone

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Fire hoses and flashing lights fronted the house at 2303 Palena Street in Kalihi.

Out back stood the building that burned -- a storage shed that doubled as a multi-purpose room.

"My main concern was my four-year-old baby because that's where he plays. All his toys are stored in there," Elisapeta "Peka" Kolone said.

Kolone's immediate family was fine. But now she's concerned about her other "kids," the 22 teenagers who perform in her Polynesian dance group.

"We lost all the uniforms that we designed for the kids for the past three years," she said.

"It's probably $10,000 to $15,000 of damage to that structure. It's immeasurable as to what the loss is to the people in terms of those items," Honolulu Fire Dept. Capt. Terry Seelig said.

The dance group is called Aiga, Samoan for family. The dancers are teenagers from the housing projects near Palena street. The shed was their storage room and safe place.

"We treat them like our own kids," Kolone said. "We don't want them to go out in the community and do the wrong things. It's like a study hall for them."

Somewhere in the burned out mess was the one computer they all shared and the dance costumes they were going to wear Friday night for they're next performance..

"Only God knows what would happen to you and I never thought of things that would happen like this," Kolone said.

If you can help the dance group with new costumes for Friday's performance call the Kolone family at 630-3328.

Powered by Frankly