Woods cancels meeting with police

Woods cancels meeting with police
Tiger Woods, left
Tiger Woods, left
Susan Jackson
Susan Jackson

WINDERMERE, Fla. (AP) - Tiger Woods has canceled another meeting with state troopers today, the third straight time he's done so.

But he posted a statement on his Web site that said the accident was his fault alone, but failed to address many of the lingering questions about the crash that sent him to a hospital.

The statement was posted about an hour before state troopers were to meet with the world's No. 1 golfer at his $2.4 million home inside the gates of Isleworth. A meeting was not rescheduled.

Woods said it was a private matter, and he wanted to keep it that way. He said "many false, unfounded and malicious rumors" are circulating.

Windermere police chief Daniel Saylor has said Woods' wife, Elin, used a golf club to smash out a rear window to help him get out of the SUV when she heard the crash from inside their home at 2:25 a.m. Friday.

Woods says she "acted courageously" when she saw he was hurt.

As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore.

This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again.

This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible.

The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false.

This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be.

Report from the day of the incident:

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say they won't speculate on what happened before Tiger Woods crashed his luxury SUV, and they expect to release 911 tapes from the accident Sunday.

Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Montes said Saturday that investigators are only looking into the incident as a traffic crash. She says investigators are "trying not to get on the rumor mill."

Troopers planned to speak with Woods about the wreck Saturday afternoon. Montes says the investigation should be finished within the next couple of days.

Police say the world's No. 1 golfer smashed his Cadillac into a fire hydrant and a tree near his mansion. His wife reportedly pulled Woods from the vehicle, bloodied from cuts on his face.

Police have said he was conscious but incoherent.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)