Victim of savage beating wants witnesses to come forward

Victim of savage beating wants witnesses to come forward
Blackford Tully
Blackford Tully
Thomas Tully - Brother of victim
Thomas Tully - Brother of victim

By Minna Sugimoto - bio | email

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - An Oahu man is recovering from multiple injuries, including a broken jaw, following an assault early Sunday morning.  He says he's frustrated by the police investigation and is asking for the public's help in the case.

On Wednesday, doctors will perform surgery on Blackford Tully's right eye and then wire his jaw shut.  Now, while he can still talk a little, he's asking for witnesses to the attack to come forward.

When your body is used as a punching bag, the pain sticks for awhile.

"I'm lucky that I survived," the beating victim said.

The young men who attacked Tully knocked his right eye socket out of position and broke his jaw in two places.

"They probably have to wire my jaw shut for about six weeks," he said.  "Fun."

The 51-year-old also has staples holding a wound on the back of his head together.

"I didn't really expect this kind of damage over a bicycle," he said.

Tully says he was watching a football game with friends at 8 Fat Fat 8 Bar and Grille at about 1 am Sunday, when someone told him his bicycle was being stolen from outside.

"I went out and sure enough somebody had grabbed my bike," Tully said.  "So I went to grab it back.  I got it back and that's when everything went black."

Witnesses say the suspects jumped Tully and beat him in the Central Pacific Bank parking lot across the street.  The owner of the bar says she previously complained to police about the young men drinking alcohol in the lot and causing trouble.

"She was actually making some comments to the police that does it take this before something is done," Thomas Tully, victim's brother, said.

Facing mounting medical bills, the ukulele maker and entertainer says the suspects hurt him physically and financially.

"My business was on the verge of shutting down because of the economy and insurance was cancelled because I couldn't pay it anymore," Blackford Tully said.

He's asking anyone with information about this case to call police.

"The guys that were there were let go actually because I couldn't identify them because I was out cold," the victim said.

Police re-classified the case from a second-degree assault to a second-degree robbery.  They say they are following up on leads.