HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The City and County of Honolulu is already preparing for the incoming severe weather, by clearing out ditches and streams that could overflow.
Crews worked on potential problems in these areas:
- Vegetation was taken out of a ditch along Lunalilo Home Road.
- Sand was lowered at Niu Valley stream outlet to the ocean.
- 130 sand bags are ready, and there is enough material for 1,000 more.
- No specific areas of concern.
- 40 sand bags are ready with materials for 300-400 more.
- Storm drains and ditches were cleared in the Kahaluu & Kaneohe area.
- 200 sand bags can be made available.
- Crews cleared out stream outlets from Kaaawa to Laie today.
- 50 sand bags are prepared, 150 more can be created.
- Crews double checked streams and drainage ways.
- They can create 100 sand bags.
- A large tree was removed from a city ditch at Dole Road within the Peterson farm.
- 20 sand bags are made, another 100 are available.
Pearl City - Ewa
- Heavy overgrowth was cut down near the Amakua Street outlet and ditch in the Palisades area.
- Crews have enough materials for 200 sand bags
- Sand buildup was removed from the Ulehawa Stream outlet area. Streams and drains are clear.
- 20 sand bags are made, another 1,000 can be created.