Architects Hawaii Ltd. (AHL) staff is picking out pumpkins and sharpening tools for its 21st annual pumpkin-carving contest on October 30. Experienced carvers from AHL have the following tips for the public, as they get ready to make their own Jack-O-Lanterns:
- Save time by leaving seeds in pumpkin. You don't have to unseed a pumpkin to carve it.
- Trace your image on the pumpkin with a red sharpie
- Use hammer and chisel to begin carving. It makes it easier to get through the tough pumpkin skin.
- Use serrated knives for detailing.
- Start with big openings first, working from one side to the other. Work on the details after the openings are cut.
- "Preserve" your carved pumpkin with Vaseline and refrigeration, if you need to make it last longer.
- It is safer and more convenient to use battery-operated lights instead of candles to light up your pumpkin.
The creative folks at AHL say it's a good idea to practice your design first before cutting into the pumpkin. You can test your own design online at a pumpkin simulator.
Vote for Your Favorite Pumpkin:
The public is invited to vote for their favorite AHL carved pumpkin on Friday, October 30, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the American Savings Bank lobby downtown at 1001 Bishop Street. The pumpkins will be on display until 4 p.m.