Suspect in Waikiki murder of New Mexico tourist appears in court

Aaron Susa, in white
Aaron Susa, in white
Bryanna Antone
Bryanna Antone

By Mari-Ela David - bio | email

HONOLULU (KHNL) - The man accused of a Waikiki murder involving a tourist, whose nude body was found on the beach, appeared in court on Monday.

Court documents reveal the DNA of murder suspect, Aaron Susa, was recovered from 25-year-old Bryanna Antone's body.

31-year-old Susa of Oahu made his first court appearance on Monday, facing a second degree murder charge in Antone's death, a tourist from Rio Rancho, New Mexico.

"We'll waive reading of the charge and enter a plea of not guilty, and ask that this be set for a preliminary hearing in two days," said Susa's attorney.

Antone's nude body was found at a Waikiki beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on Friday, October 2nd.

At the shoreline where Antone's body was discovered, according to court documents, police also found, leaning against a sea wall, a manila envelope.

And inside the envelope, according to court documents, police found a pair of gold colored women's slippers as well as a letter addressed to Aaron Susa, care of the Federal Detention Center in Honolulu.

Court documents also show that Royal Hawaiian hotel workers witnessed a couple sitting near a concrete wall hours before Antone's death. They say a man was on top of a woman, punching and choking her.

Antone's body, according to a pathologist, had a fractured thyroid larynx, a bruised neck and chest.

The night before the crime, along Kalakaua Avenue, is where Antone's younger brother Benjamin told police, he and his sister met Susa, while listening to a band. The three befriended the singer.

And at a nearby ABC store is where that singer told police the four of them went to buy liquor, then headed to the Waikiki Ohana West Hotel to drink. Court records also reveal Susa told officers they smoked pot. Susa told officers he then made out with Antone at his favorite beach, and had sex in the water.

But Susa said, while dressing back up on the beach, they got into a fight, and parted ways. He told police that was the last time he saw Antone alive, and that he did not kill her.

Court records show that Antone's brother, confirmed, the slippers in the manila envelope were his sister's. And the night they all met, he told police that Susa did tell them he just got out of jail that day.

Susa was arrested last Monday, after officers found him hiding in bushes in Makiki. Records show he told police he drank and injected Drano. He was taken to The Queen's Medical Center after officers determined he attempted to commit suicide.