BayFest fans demand refunds after traffic nightmare - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

BayFest fans demand refunds after traffic nightmare

Debra Bookatz Debra Bookatz
"Just decided to pull over and look over at the scene..." said this concert-goer "Just decided to pull over and look over at the scene..." said this concert-goer
"We've been waiting in this traffic for fricken ever..." said this concert-goer "We've been waiting in this traffic for fricken ever..." said this concert-goer
Lt. Marc Farr Lt. Marc Farr

By Duane Shimogawa - bio | email

KANEOHE BAY (KHNL) - It was a BayFest black eye. Thousands flood BayFest leaving many off base and out of luck on Saturday night.

Thousands of ticket holders for the concert were stuck in three hours of traffic to go just two miles. Those who didn't get in or got in for only a small portion of the concert, are demanding a refund.

The scene was electric at BayFest, the biggest concert in its 20-year history. It's where 90 percent of ticket holders were, but there was another scene happening at the same time.

This one was not so electric.

"So we've been waiting in this traffic for fricken ever, we have nothing to drink, nothing to eat, I can't believe it, we just have to walk, we're walking up, our friends are back there, it's nuts," one fan waiting in traffic said.

Thousands were stuck in traffic and many just turned around and ditched the concert, leaving them frustrated with the Marine Corps.

"Left schofield at 7:20 and it's about 9:40 now, over 2 hours 20 minutes to go 30 miles," another frustrated fan said. "I think by the time we get parked, it would be about time to leave, just decided to pull over and look over at the scene."

Marine Corps officials say 90 percent of people who bought tickets saw the concert. They say the other 10 percent should've made better plans.

"People should've planned ahead, we had encouraged people to try to plan their day, we do open the gates at 12 and we encouraged people to come in," Marine Corps Base Hawaii marketing director Debra Bookatz said. "The concert area itself doesn't open until four oh clock and we did announce it would be open at four so people would be able to come in early."

They did not give any specific plans to change anything concerning the major traffic issue Saturday night.

"It is unfortunate that we had a lot of people who didn't make it but we did have a great deal who did make it to the event," Bookatz said.

At this time, Marine Corps officials say they're aren't giving any refunds. They feel fans should've came early.

"We had a zero incident, zero safety, zero traffic accidents, zero collisions, zero pedestrian accidents, nothing happened, it was a safe environment for all that attended," Lieutenant and officer in charge of BayFest Marc Farr said. "Once the people reached the main gate, there was approximately 20 minutes until we had them parked and they were en route to the venue here, so the H-3 was packed, but that's just the way the infrastructure is set up, two lanes, that's it."

Now although the Marine Corps isn't giving refunds at this time, you may still call them if you have issues with the concert at 254-7653.

Powered by Frankly