Mililani house fire causes $900K in damages - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Mililani house fire causes $900K in damages

Tamasailau Minute Tamasailau Minute
Vanessa Grogan Vanessa Grogan

By Leland Kim - bio | email

MILILANI (KHNL) -   A fire destroyed a home in Mililani Tuesday morning.  It happened at the end of a cul-de-sac on Mahau place.

Chopper 8 captured the first video images of the fire.   Thick smoke filled the sky, as firefighters try to get the fire under control.  The home is owned by the Samoan Congregational Church of Mililani, and some church members lived there.

Four people were sleeping when the fire broke out just after nine this morning.  No one was seriously injured, but a daughter was treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Dozens of firefighters started tackling the fire just after 9:20 Tuesday morning.  They spent hours trying to get a handle on the fire.  They had to deal with lots of smoke and a collapsed middle section of the two-story house.

"I was shocked, kind of unbelievable," said Tamasailau Minute, the victim's niece.  "So I had to drive here and see it for myself and when I walked up, I see my cousin, and I had to cry."

"They were all asleep so they don't know how it started," said Vanessa Grogan, who witnessed the fire. "It started at the back of the house upstairs, and downstairs is the stove area. So they say they weren't cooking.  They were all sleeping."

Firefighters did a complete search of the house to make sure no one was trapped inside.   Fire investigators were on scene.  The fire caused $850,000 in damages to the house, and $50,000 to its contents.

It may take a week or so for them to pinpoint the exact cause of the fire.  This is the second tragedy to hit the family in recent months.  The pastor's niece's house also burned down in January.

Powered by Frankly