Fire victim's son remembers his father - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire victim's son remembers his father

Joshua Fair Joshua Fair

By Leland Kim - bio | email

MAKIKI (KHNL) - The city medical examiner determined the cause of death in Thursday morning's Makiki house fire.   It happened at approximately 12:20 am.  He said the two people -- a man and a woman --- died due to "inhalation of smoke and products of combustion." 

As of late afternoon Friday, the medical examiner did not identify the victims.  But family and friends say Larry Fair, 58, and Khristy Sasaki Bartlett, 38, died in the fire.

And no word yet on the exact cause of it.  Fire investigators returned Friday, to look for more clues.

We have more information on one of the victims.  Larry Fair lived in that house for about a year and a half.  He's described as a giving person, always putting others before himself.

Notes and flowers dot the entrance to the charred remains of a five-bedroom house that used to be a home for eight people.  Larry Fair is one of two people who died in the fire.

"He always put others first, and was just a great person," said Joshua Fair, Larry Fair's 30-year-old son. "And everyone who knew him just loved him."

Joshua Fair found out about his father's death from his sister when she called him at two in the morning.

"Shock," he said.  "Still in shock."

Larry Fair was an entrepreneur, running liveinternetweddings.com, a successful wedding video company and Web site.

"I really just want people to remember my father as just a great man that he was," said Joshua Fair. "Great father, great friend, everybody that has ever known him on this island will tell you the same thing."

Witnesses say Larry Fair was asleep when the fire broke out.

"It's just hard to believe it happened," said Joshua Fair. "I would like to know what happened exactly."

Fire investigators sift through the wreckage once again, looking for clues that may help solve the mystery of how the fire got started.

"It's very concerning," said Joshua Fair.  "Obviously it's very upsetting as well that some things had happened and that some building codes were violated and that something like this could've been prevented if that hadn't been violated."

He says this is a reminder to not take life for granted.

"Love your family, love your friends. You just never know when you're going to get a phone call at two in the morning telling you that you lost your father or your loved one," said Joshua Fair.  "This is a testament to how short life is.  And that we need to cherish each day that we have with our loved ones and never take it for granted."

The house faced several permit violations in the past, but the owners made necessary corrections once they were notified by the city's Department of Planning and Permitting.  There were no pending violations.

As far as Larry Fair, his family will sprinkle his ashes in the ocean.  They say that's what he wanted.

Powered by Frankly