Jury finds Keohokapu guilty of lesser charge in fatal stabbing - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Jury finds Keohokapu guilty of lesser charge in fatal stabbing

Glenn Keohokapu, Jr. Glenn Keohokapu, Jr.
Steven Wilcox Steven Wilcox
Kristine Yoo Kristine Yoo
Robert Wilcox Robert Wilcox
Glenn Keohokapu, Sr. Glenn Keohokapu, Sr.

By Minna Sugimoto - bio | email

HONOLULU (KHNL) - After three days of deliberations, an Oahu jury on Monday convicted a man of manslaughter in the fatal stabbing of a teen outside a Kaneohe bar last year.

Glenn Keohokapu, Jr. was on trial for murder. But the jury rejected the prosecution's argument that the killing was intentional, and instead found him guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter.

The defendant had little reaction as the verdict was read.

During the trial, the 36-year-old testified he acted in self defense. He says he and his wife were arguing in the parking lot of Club Komomai last June, when Steven Wilcox, 19, intervened.

He says Wilcox came after him with brass knuckles, so he grabbed a folding knife out of his car and the teen simply walked into it.

Attorneys from both sides expressed disappointment over the verdict.

"I believe that Mr. Keohokapu's conduct was reasonable under the circumstances, and I don't think it was a crime," Benjamin Ignacio, defense attorney, said.

"I guess it's disappointing," Kristine Yoo, deputy prosecutor, said. "The force, the stab, the force that required to go into the heart, I, the state's position is that that required a lot of force."

"All we ask for justice," Robert Wilcox, victim's father, said. "I mean, we has nothing against the family because they nice family."

"It's so difficult seeing the family every day knowing the hurt that they have, and it hurts me," Glenn Keohokapu, Sr., defendant's father, said through tears.

Sentencing is scheduled for June.

Normally, the maximum punishment for manslaughter is 20 years in prison. But prosecutors plan to ask for a life sentence citing Keohokapu's prior criminal record, which includes convictions for burglary, robbery, domestic abuse, and drug offenses.

The defense plans to appeal the verdict.

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Bookkeeper who stole from nonprofit to fund lavish lifestyle sentenced

    Bookkeeper who stole from nonprofit to fund lavish lifestyle sentenced

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 8:13 PM EDT2018-08-16 00:13:21 GMT
    Lola Jean Amorin stole millions of dollars from Arc in Hawaii while she served as a bookkeeper from the nonprofit. (Image: Hawaii News Now)Lola Jean Amorin stole millions of dollars from Arc in Hawaii while she served as a bookkeeper from the nonprofit. (Image: Hawaii News Now)

    A former bookkeeper accused of stealing millions of dollars from a nonprofit was sentenced Wednesday to 25 years in prison.

    More >>

    A former bookkeeper accused of stealing millions of dollars from a nonprofit was sentenced Wednesday to 25 years in prison.

    More >>
  • Suspect says smashing Trump's star was 'right and just act'

    Suspect says smashing Trump's star was 'right and just act'

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 4:58 PM EDT2018-08-15 20:58:10 GMT
    Wednesday, August 15 2018 8:10 PM EDT2018-08-16 00:10:24 GMT
    (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File). FILE - This photo July 25, 2018 file photo shows Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame that was vandalized, in Los Angeles. The man accused of smashing Trump's star says his actions were a "rightful and just act...(AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File). FILE - This photo July 25, 2018 file photo shows Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame that was vandalized, in Los Angeles. The man accused of smashing Trump's star says his actions were a "rightful and just act...
    The man accused of smashing President Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame called it a "rightful and just act".More >>
    The man accused of smashing President Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame called it a "rightful and just act".More >>
  • Italy hunts for blame in bridge collapse that killed 39

    Italy hunts for blame in bridge collapse that killed 39

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 3:26 AM EDT2018-08-15 07:26:11 GMT
    Wednesday, August 15 2018 8:04 PM EDT2018-08-16 00:04:49 GMT
    (Vigili Del Fuoco via AP). In this photo released by the Italian firefighters, rescue teams work among the rubble of the collapsed Morando highway bridge in Genoa, northern Italy, Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. A bridge on a main highway linking Italy with Fr...(Vigili Del Fuoco via AP). In this photo released by the Italian firefighters, rescue teams work among the rubble of the collapsed Morando highway bridge in Genoa, northern Italy, Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. A bridge on a main highway linking Italy with Fr...

    Rescue and recovery efforts continued through the night into the morning in Italy following the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa, while authorities raised the death toll to 35 with three missing.

    More >>

    Rescue and recovery efforts continued through the night into the morning in Italy following the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa, while authorities raised the death toll to 35 with three missing.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly