Fire officials: Container of beauty products nearly catches fire in Hilo home

Fire officials: Container of beauty products nearly catches fire in Hilo home
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

HILO, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) - A container of beauty products nearly caught fire in a Hilo home late Sunday, the Hawaii County Fire Department says.

Twelve firefighters responded around 11:10 p.m. to the home on Waianuenue Avenue to find all the occupants had already evacuated and were sitting in a vehicle in the driveway. One of the occupants reported smoke but no fire.

Firefighters said a container of beauty products was spontaneously combusting, melting the plastic around it.

According to fire investigators, a hair bleaching product called Quick White contained strong oxidizing agents that heated up the materials around it. If left unattended for much longer, it would’ve caught fire, investigators said.

There were no injuries reported and the home was not damaged.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.