HFD: Unattended candle ignited a fire that tore through a Nuuanu home

HFD: Unattended candle ignited a fire that tore through a Nuuanu home
Flames blackened the entire home, waking neighbors to an alarming sight Sunday. (Image: Jackson Cheng)

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department has concluded their investigation into a house fire that began Sunday morning.

Fire officials deemed the fire accidental, saying it was ignited by a candle left unattended.

Firefighters were dispatched to the home on Huene Street around 7:40 a.m. Sunday. Some 10 units staffed with 43 personnel responded.

When firefighters rushed to the scene, they found a two-story single-family home fully involved in flames. Photos and videos sent to Hawaii News Now showed thick black smoke emanating from the home, alarming neighbors and nearby residents.

Fire officials report that an off-duty HFD fire fighter assisted an adult son and his mother out of the house. The home had a smoke alarm but it was not working.

Thick black smoke filled the air as firefighters put out the flames.
Thick black smoke filled the air as firefighters put out the flames.

“We suspect that there was no working smoke detectors in the house and that is one thing we have been trying to push out into the public — You should have a working smoke detector within the house,” HFD Battlion Chief John Bowers said.

The fire was deemed under control at 8:25 a.m. and fully extinguished by 9:50 a.m.

Damages were estimated at $611,000 to the structure and another $100,000 to its contents.

“The HFD would like to encourage the public to use flashlights and battery operated lighting instead of candles. If candles are used they should be extinguished when leaving the room or when going to sleep,” HFD added.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.