DETROIT (AP) - Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 1.6 million vehicles worldwide to replace Takata front passenger air bag inflators that can be dangerous.
Takata inflators can explode with too much force, hurling shrapnel into drivers and passengers. At least 23 people have died from the problem worldwide.
The recall covers:
- the 2010 through 2016 Jeep Wrangler SUV
- the 2010 Ram 3500 pickup and 4500/5500 Chassis Cab trucks
- the 2010 and 2011 Dodge Dakota pickup
- the 2010 through 2014 Dodge Challenger muscle car
- the 2011 through 2015 Dodge Charger sedan
- and the 2010 through 2015 Chrysler 300 sedan
It’s part of the largest series of automotive recalls in U.S. history. About 10 million inflators are being recalled this year. Already Ford, Honda and Toyota have issued recalls in the latest round.