HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A small but smoky fire Friday at Ala Moana Center came with a big price tag.
An astronomical $5.7 million in merchandise and other in-store items at Italian luxury goods store Bottega Veneta were ruined in the blaze, Honolulu firefighters said.
The fire, reported midday, was caused by a malfunctioning florescent light.
Some 28 firefighters responded to the fire, and it was quickly extinguished. But it produced a lot of smoke.
Two security guards were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but declined transport to a hospital.
There were four employees in the store when the fire started, and none of them were injured.
There wasn’t an accounting of the items destroyed, but it’s not hard to imagine how the losses could add up quickly. Prices for dresses at Bottega Veneta top $4,500, and some purses are $10,000 or more.
The store, on the second floor at Ala Moana, is closed until further notice.
In addition to the destroyed merchandise, the fire caused about $2,000 in damage to the structure.