MANOA (HawaiiNewsNow) - The family that alerted four women to a two-alarm fire at their Manoa home last night spoke about the alarming experience a day after the blaze.
The fire broke out at a two-story home on Vancouver Drive Tuesday night. The four women were inside the home on the opposite side from where the fire started. Flames reportedly ignited on the half of the home occupied by the landlord, who wasn’t home at the time.
Neighbors saw the flames and knew they had to move quickly to ensure everyone was safe.
Gordon Baker pounded on the home’s door and as his family quickly evacuated.
“I could see a little bit of an orange haze at the very top and all of a sudden it just burst open, the flames just start taking off and I heard glass break,” Gordon said.
“It was pretty scary. We grabbed our important stuff — my son, our dog — and we just left and we waited for them to put the fire out,” Amanda Baker said.
Firefighters responded around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday with 39 personnel.
Upon their arrival to the scene, they found the second floor of the structure was fully engulfed in flames.
Around 11:20 p.m., HFD deemed the fire fully extinguished.
Fire officials have not yet released a cause of damage estimates.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
“The HFD wants the public to ensure that your smoke alarms are working. This means testing smoke alarms monthly, replacing batteries once a year or when a low-battery alarm chirps and performing other maintenance as NFPA and your smoke alarm manufacturers recommend,” fire officials said.
“And of course, a smoke alarm disabled because of nuisance alarms provides no protection at all.,” HFD added.
This story will be updated.