Worker suffers burns after explosion at Panda Express in Kona

Worker suffers burns after explosion at Panda Express in Kona
File photo of Panda Express. (Wikimedia Commons)

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (AP) - An employee at a Hawaii Panda Express was taken to the hospital for burn injuries following a suspected gas explosion at the restaurant.

West Hawaii Today reports several businesses in the Kona Commons shopping center were evacuated Monday because of the explosion.

Police arrived at 11:38 a.m. Fire crews were already on scene.

Officer Travis Bumgardner says an employee told responders she smelled gas after a rice cooker dropped on the floor in the restaurant’s kitchen area. When she bent down to pick it up, the explosion occurred, burning her hands and arms.

She was taken to Kona Community Hospital for treatment.

Employees and customers were waiting in the parking lot as they watched personnel from the Hawaii Fire and Hawaii Police departments respond to the scene.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.