HFD discovers cause of early-morning fire at Ala Moana Shopping Center

HFD estimates the fire caused a total of $730,000 in damage.

HFD discovers cause of early-morning fire at Ala Moana Shopping Center
HFD responded to an early-morning fire at Ala Moana Center. (Hawaii News Now)

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -The Honolulu Fire Department has concluded their investigation into a fire that ignited at the Ala Moana Shopping Center early Tuesday morning.

HFD said the two-alarm fire was caused by arcing in an extension cord that was being used to charge a motorized cart.

“The HFD does not recommend extension cords be used as permanent wiring. Even if you unplug it at the end of the day, using an extension cord every day is considered permanent wiring," HFD said.

"We recommend consulting a licensed electrician for permanent solutions that meet the demands of your specific needs,” fire officials added.

The fire started around 1:50 a.m. Tuesday. At one point, a third alarm was dispatched to the scene, but resources were turned away as the first few fire companies were able to handle the situation.

It happened in the lowest level parking garage within a maintenance or operations storage area — referred to as the sub level. Due to the area of the fire, thick black smoke and limited radio communications made the firefight difficult, HFD said.

Some 45 personnel responded.

The blaze was deemed fully extinguished by 3:50 a.m.

However, around 11:30 a.m., firefighters were called back due to smoldering seen coming from behind a Concrete Masonry Unit (CMU) wall. HFD says the rekindle was extinguished and further monitored for any other hot spots.

No businesses were impacted and no injuries were reported.

HFD estimates the fire caused a total of $730,000 in damage to the structure and its contents.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.