Electrical outlet sparked Kalihi apartment fire, HFD says

The blaze caused an estimated $169,000 in damage.

HFD extinguishes 2-alarm fire at a Kalihi apartment building

KALIHI (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department says a short circuit in an electrical outlet is to blame for a two-alarm fire at a Kalihi apartment building Wednesday afternoon.

Within minutes, HFD extinguished the blaze that caused an estimated $169,000 in damage.

Firefighters were dispatched just before 3 p.m. to a 3-story apartment building on Puuhale Road.

Fire officials responded with 39 personnel and deemed the fire extinguished by 3:10 p.m.

Flames were seen coming from an apartment on the second floor.

Two people were treated by EMS for smoke inhalation, but they refused to be transported to the hospital.

Neighbors say the two people who lived in the apartment safely made it out, and that flames likely started in a bedroom. The unit is reportedly heavily damaged.

“The HFD would like to encourage the public to practice their fire evacuation plans. This allows for quicker recognition and familiarization to what your fire alarm sounds like. It also implies that you actually have a working smoke detector. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere,” HFD said.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.